Saturday 22 June 2013

Action Mesothelioma Day 5 July 2013

A few years ago an old friend of mine died of an industrial disease contracted whilst working with asbestos in his youth.

For that reason, I like to do my bit to promote Action Mesthelioma Day, which takes place on the first Friday in July each year.

Unfortunately little information has been forthcoming this year and I must admit the event had slipped my mind.

The day involves local, community-based groups, often organised by families affected by asbestos-related disease, running events promoting awareness of the issues and of their own activities.

The event is co-ordinated by Mesothelioma UK, who can be contacted via http://mesothelioma.uk.com . I`m sure they will be only too happy to provide, or indeed receive, information about AMD events taking place around the country.

While we`re on the subject, I`d like to mention  Derbyshire Asbestos Support Team, a well-respected and long-established local charity that works to support those affected by asbestos-related illness.

DAST works with charities, community groups, trade unions and others as you`ll see from their latest newsletter ; http://asbestossupport.co.uk/doc/DAST.pdf .

Lastly, I`d also like to mention the Asbestos Victims Support Groups Forum UK (http://www.asbestosforum.org.uk) . This seems to be a very worthwhile initiative that provides much-needed support and advice to many.

At present the group is running a petition in respect of  the 2013 Mesothelioma Bill,. You can learn more about this by clicking on the link they provide. I hope that some of you will consider signing this, as I have done myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment